This post is a companion piece to a recipe I wrote as guest blogger on Just Bento, Curried Lentil “Risotto”. Please check it out there and let me know if you enjoy it. Together, these have been some of my favorite recipes lately. Thank you Maki for giving me a little space on your awesome blog in which to share them.
These shrimp were a bit of improvisation for something light and indulgent to have with my curried lentils, which are a bit heavier and fibrous. Together with some simple couscous these made a delightful dinner and an even better lunch box the next afternoon. I haven’t tried yet, but I imagine that this would be quite delicious with some fried tofu instead of shrimp, along with some actual pineapple chunks.
Recipe: Pineapple Shrimp with Okra
Makes 4 servings
- 20 medium-large raw shrimp, de-veined, shells and tails removed
- 24 whole okra
- 6 oz can of pineapple juice (or 3/4 cup)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated fresh or powdered ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the shrimp in the pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and cayenne for 30 minutes in the refrigerator to preserve the freshness of the shrimp.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and reserve the marinade. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on side of the shrimp facing up.
- After about 1 minute (or when the underside turns very pink as in the photo below), flip all of the shrimp over and sprinkle salt and pepper on the side now facing up.
- When the shrimp are cooked, remove them from the pan and pour in the reserved marinade. Simmer. Add the okra and a bit more salt and pepper. Stir to coat the okra in the juice.
- Simmer and reduce the sauce while the okra cook. When the okra are bright green and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat.
- Serve shrimp and okra side by side, coated in the pineapple sauce.