Another cookie recipe! For some reason my mind is obsessed with cookies at the moment, even though I don’t really love them as a food group. These cookies, however, are much more my style. They are peanuty, spicy and just a little bit sweet. The best part is they are much easier to bake than any other cookie I’ve tried. If you’re like me and don’t usually love sweet treats, try these and let me know what you think.
I haven’t made these in a while, so I don’t have a picture. They look like slightly flatter and darker versions of regular peanut butter cookies. Update: Made these the other day, so I’ve added a photo.
Note: This recipe does not double well. Mix single batches up one after another or in separate bowls. For some reason, every time I’ve doubled this recipe the consistency comes out all wrong. Also, I’m not kidding in the ingredients list; don’t use a jumbo-sized egg.
Recipe: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky, your choice)
- 1 large or extra large egg (jumbo is too big!)
- A few drops of vanilla
- Cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream sugar and peanut butter together with a big spoon, and then add the egg and vanilla and mix until dough is consistent throughout.
- Place round scoops of about 1 Â½ inch in diameter out onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- When a sheet is filled, use a greased fork to press down in a cross-hatched pattern on each cookie. Give each a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and cinnamon for an extra kick. Try other spices for fun!
- Pop them in the oven and take them out in about 10-15 minutes (they should be slightly brown on the bottom).
- Let them cool in the pan or on a rack for a few minutes so they can firm up before eating/serving. These should be slightly less cakey and a bit more crispy than regular peanut butter cookies.
2 responses to “Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies”
My mother makes these cookies with just the first three ingredients. Then she plops a Hershey kiss on top and calls them ‘tit cookies’. They’re very good ’emergency’ cookies.
Cool recipe. I love the idea of adding a little heat to these recipe. Great twist on a classic.