When you’re tired of the same old same old for dinner, shake it up. Try some savory waffles topped with all manner of goodness. These waffles can be as decadent or as light as you like. Ours were somewhere in the middle.
The following recipe is just a simple Belgian waffle recipe with some added herbs. If you have the time and energy, separating and beating the egg whites will give these a lighter texture, a bit fluffy on the inside. If you don’t, just use the whole eggs, but be careful to mix only until all ingredients are moistened and no huge lumps are left. These will be a little denser and a little crispier on the outside.
Unfortunately, I’m going to venture a guess that these require a waffle iron of some sort to cook properly. I don’t think a pancake version of these would cook as crisply. As always though, feel free to prove me wrong by experimenting with some rosemary pancakes! Let me know how they come out if you do.
Recipe: Rosemary Waffles
Makes 4-5 large Belgian waffles, though the capacity of irons may vary.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted & cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried sage, preferably ground
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light. Add the room-temperature melted butter and stir well. Add the milk and stir once more.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, rosemary and sage. Beat just until the dry and wet ingredients are evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Carefully fold the whites into the batter. Don’t over-mix as this will deflate the egg whites.
- Heat waffle iron. Follow the directions for your waffle iron and make waffles until you are out of batter. On our waffle iron, 4-5 heat is plenty and we let each waffle cook for 3 minutes 45 seconds.
Serve with fresh slices of avocado with lemon juice and a pinch of salt, with a flavored compound butter, maple syrup, some sauteed greens and onions, or fried chicken – anything you can think of!