What do you do when you become to busy to cook consistently? Hopefully, you have the foresight to stock your freezer with reheatable home cooked items. Happily I did manage to have a sense that things were going to get hectic around here and I was able to pack the freezer with these tasty little packages. I only wish I had thought to do the same with some larger meals, but well, hindsight is always twenty/twenty.
Still, there’s no need for you to suffer with take-out or instant foods for every meal just because your schedule has become too packed to keep fresh food around. These burritos are easy, flexible, and are a perfect example of a simple on-the-go meal that can run the gamut of flavors. I got the idea from The Simple Dollar’s Bulk Breakfast Burritos recipe but alternated some of my own favorite fillings to make them suitable for any time of day.
Recipe: Freezable bean burritos with a zing
Makes 8 burritos (multiply as needed)
- 8 medium or large flour tortillas
- 8 pieces of American cheese
- 2 batches of “Unfried” Black Beans mixed with a dollop of your favorite hot sauce
- 1 batch of Guacamole
- Fill each tortilla as show above.
- Fold the left and right sides in and then roll the bottom up until the burrito is closed. This is also explained, with photos, in the Simple Dollar recipe.
- Wrap the burrito in plastic wrap. Freeze.
- When you wish to eat, remove from the plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel, and defrost in a microwave for about 2 minutes (power level – 50%), and then heat on regular power for about 1 minute.
These gooey, zesty little packets have brightened many a work day when I’ve been too rushed for breakfast or lunch. What are some other ingredients you would add to your frozen burritos? I’m about to make another batch and I want to plant some variety in my freezer this time.
One year ago: Vegan Extra Cheesy Grits